2008-02-06

Neozoic FBCD short DONE!

As of 1:17AM yesterday morning the last page was coloured and uploaded for Troy to do his lettering magic! Eight pages of freebie goodness done! I felt like a train letting out steam at a platform.

Allow me to say the f-word. That was so.. Much. FUN.

Korim and I chillaxed a bit on the short since the layouts themselves were very simple and there were no crazy battle sequences like in issues 3 and 4. Even without the speech bubbles it was very easy to tell what was going on. Speakin' of which, the FCBD roughs he sent me actually had some dialogue he wrote up for fun. Dunno if there were any script changes since then, I remembered it being a rather cute read.

"Cute" in terms of short and sweet badassery.

Takes place way before any of the events in issue 1 came around. One of the dinosaur species from a previous issue makes an appearance here, but there's no real way of knowing which one it is because that issue won't be out till the end of May.
[Read more ▼]

Doing the FCBD short felt like working on a clean slate. No more yellow-orange-y backgrounds for me, yesiree. This month's inspiration for colour cues was a bunch of stuff from J. Scott Campbell's MySpace page that Korim emailed me, most of which were beach/city scenes that had very vibrant summer sunset-y colours like purple, magenta, turquoise...

I went with green. Trust me, it worked. Made popping things out a whole lot easier with the colour contrast and everything.

There was still plenty of silhouette action going on, lighting effects were a no-brainer except on this double page spread where I maxed out all the lighting potential it had short of throwing on the dreaded lens flare.

Learned something new again, I got to try painting water splashes which I've never done before. Was kinda fun actually. Google was my best friend in helping me figure out how I could try going about that stuff. I would almost hope for an underwater fight scene somehow someday, because trying to duke it out with a giant dino with lesser chances of survival in the sea than on land sounds awesome to me.

Some more of that funny revision business happened again:
- forgot the PDL logo on some of the shoulder guards
- painted clothing bits as armour and vice versa in one panel
- shifted the last panel up to make room for a mini-ad
- forgot to paint in some of Lilli's eyebrows

Had to stop what I was doing for 10 minutes each time to fix them up and re-upload. Oh man. My mind must be slipping.

In any case I'm glad the short turned out alright. I really hope that anyone who gets the chance to see it will have yet another reason to check out the series.


[Some tidbits about issue 5, Paul tells me it takes place mostly at night, which means I get to rearrange the colour pallete!]

2 comments:

Chris said...

Just wanted to say I love Neozoic and keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Sure thing man, will do!