2008-03-17

Night scenes are hard.

I know I said I was looking foward switching up the colour pallete on issue 5... Trying to paint a bunch the way I usually did with day scenes has been difficult so far. Unless there's a definitive light source like the moon or a torch I could dish out some extra visual contrast.

Not on the pages I'm on right now. Imagine huddling under the shade of a tree in a dark forest in the middle of the night with the campfire out. I'm staring at the monitor and musing how it's no wonder that filmmakers and animators had such a hard time doing night scenes.

Wrapping my brain around how to go about making this work without the pages coming out so dark the pencils couldn't be seen.

Which reminds me...

A friend recently sent a copy of some scanned issues of Neozoic that a group has been distributing online [along with a ton of other titles by the big two and such]. Kinda cool to hear someone was interested in spreading the word about Neozoic and all, but I couldn't help but notice how dark the scans were. [Was that intentional?]

In any case, if anyone out there actually went and downloaded a scan of Neozoic, hopefully it's enough for them to go get it in print. There's one incentive I can think of really: because the original looks better.

No comments: